Wednesday, July 20, 2005

After reading J'accuse

I am reading Emile Zola's J'accuse in translation.


J'accuse -- In French with an English Translation

I am enjoying his writing, but I am wondering why he chose mainly to reflect public opinion, albeit eloquently. When I originally read only the introductory paragraphs the article sounded pure and uplifitng like a Declaration of Independence. In certain instances it is nice to read about the personal habits of Jefferson and others (Washington et al), about their wooden teeth and unexpected progeny. You would think that a politically influential writer would try to influence by being at least more extreme in one direction or the other.

In any case I am actually encouraged to see how much effort goes into influencing public opinion, because it seems to indicate that in general it takes more effort than I thought it did to overcome the consciences of the people. I thought most automatically did wrong, I did not realized that they had to be convinced and brainwashed.

No comments: